If your home or business has been affected by a tornado or storm, the damage can be devastating. Luckily, most Texas homeowner insurance policies include coverage for tornadoes (expect along the coast); however, insurance companies are notorious for denying or undervaluing property damage. To be successful, all of your losses must be properly documented which can be difficult. So, we’ve provided a few tips to help with the process. If you still need help, Give Us a Call or Text at (214) 699-6524 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free case evaluation.
Contact Your Insurance Company
Contact your insurance agent or insurance company immediately. All you need is your policy number and an adjuster should contact you soon after. If an adjuster has not contacted you within a day or two, follow up with your insurance company.
Document Your Damages
Do not throw away damaged property. While it may seem obvious that you had furniture and a refrigerator inside your home, insurance companies will deny compensation if these losses are not properly documented. The following are a few ways to document your losses:
- Take pictures of the damages inside and outside of your home or business, including the roof, floors, walls, furniture, electronics, and clothes.
- If possible, find receipts, values, and date of purchases for any damaged or lost property.
- Have an independent contactor come out and estimate the damages and repairs.
- Make a list of any items you cannot find, including jewelry and family heirlooms.
When making your claim it is important to note that most Texas homeowners policies cover the following:
- Your house
- Personal property (appliances, furniture, clothing, and etc.)
- Fences, storage sheds, and detached garage
- Cost of replacement living
- Medical expenses of someone hurt on your property
Before signing any type of release with the insurance company, it is important to make sure you are receiving proper compensation for your losses. If you need help or your insurance company is giving you trouble, Give Us a Call or Text at (214) 699-6524 or email us at email@example.com for a free case evaluation.